Skip to content
Set Up a Consultation Call 770-594-8309 / Text 678-522-4799

I need to be able to earn a living on my own.

Shaw Law Firm Works for You

Child Support Owed When You've Lost Your Job

When a Motion for a New Trial/Motion to Set Aside Can Help

The Dangers of Voluntarily Paying Expenses in Lieu of Child Support

Making the Case for Alimony

A spouse can be ordered to pay support in some circumstances and Georgia law strictly defines those circumstances. There is no automatic award of alimony.

Scott Shaw knows the law and will guide you in making the right demands and developing a strong case for success.

Addressing Parental Rights

Fathers and mothers have different rights if there is no marriage in place. If a parent is apparently unfit for custody, parental rights must change.

Scott Shaw has years of experience in developing and presenting solid case that support - or impeach - parental rights.

Agreement Modifications

If financial situations change, alimony awards can change also. Changes in one of the ex-spouse's living arrangements can affect an alimony award as well.

Scott Shaw has advanced skills in dealing with the finances of divorce, even after the original decree. 

Five Star Ratings

Threats to Take Son

I was an emotional wreck because my ex had threatened to take my son out of the state against my will. I thought because he was my son's father that he could do it too. Scott informed me of my rights that I did not even know that I had. He immediately sprang into action and got an emergency order from the court. He handled everything quickly and attentively while reassuring me through the process. I really am grateful for all that he did for my son and I. The end result was totally in my favor. I highly recommend him and thank him for his representation.

False Accusations

My wife made false accusation throughout a lengthy divorce and withheld my children from me... brilliant at deposition (where he utterly tore her apart) and exposed her lies with evidence he guided me to gather prior to our case....extremely detail-oriented and knows the law well...[in] the final trial Mr. Shaw was able to counter everything that was thrown at us through ...evidence and facts. Divorce is a difficult change, process and battle but having Mr. Shaw in your corner definitely helps. I can wholeheartedly recommend Mr. Shaw.

What a Relief

It was a relief mentally and emotionally to have an attorney appear on behalf of my son and I that into court prepared and knew the facts of the case and the applicable law and present it all in a coherent fashion. Thank you again! --- William M. 

No B.S. Attitude

Mr. Shaw is one heck of an attorney and his no B.S. attitude is what won me over in the first place. --- Jason P. 

Won Custody of My Kids

Mr. Shaw won custody for me of my little boy and teenage daughter, despite my now ex-wife influencing my daughter to testify at trial and to elect to reside with her, and Mr. Shaw cut through this chafe at trial, through the B.S. and distortions, destroyed my ex’s case, and I have custody of my two kids as a very happy father. --- Mark S. 

Grandparents Win Custody

We would like to thank you for all your hard work in helping us get custody of Brett and Brittany. You are their savior. You helped these two little angels have a stable home for the first time in their little lives. --- Tom & Debra C.

Can Shaw Law get results for you?

Tell us about your situation.

Learn More about Child Custody Issues and Questions

Excerpts from the Shaw Law Library:

Palimony in the State of Georgia

‘Palimony’ is a commonly adopted term for the equivalent of alimony for previously cohabitating but unmarried couples in the state of Georgia. The majority of states do not recognize palimony, although a handful do, based on certain circumstances. Georgia has rejected palimony as a cause of action, giving people incentive to actually marry instead. Thus,…
Keep Reading

Is the Paycheck Protection Program Loan Considered Income for Determining Alimony or Child Support?

The pandemic brought with it more than just a virus. The impact of policies and procedures meant to keep infection rates low created a challenge for individuals and businesses to maintain productivity and profitability. That’s why the Paycheck Protection Program Loan (PPP) was designed. But is this loan something the courts can use to determine…
Keep Reading

A Word from Scott Shaw: The Troubling Trend to Award Alimony in Lieu of Non-Marital Disability Pension is Addressed by the Georgia Supreme Court

The fact pattern is a familiar one. Husband or Wife serves in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines. They are wounded in service and are voluntarily or involuntarily released from the military with a disability rating. This rating directly relates to the amount of disability pay they’re eligible to receive.  Disability pay,…
Keep Reading

Can I Retroactively Modify My Alimony Award?

When alimony is ordered as part of a Georgia divorce, it is not unusual for one ex-spouse to request that the court modify their alimony order at some point in time following the divorce. This request for modification typically results from a significant change in the financial circumstances or income of one or both ex-spouses,…
Keep Reading

What is an Income Deduction Order? Is It Different Than an Income Withholding Order?

Both income deduction orders and income withholding orders are designed to require employers to directly withhold child support and/or alimony payments from a person’s paycheck. Georgia law requires that wage withholding be implemented in family law proceedings involving child or spousal support, unless the court determines that there is good cause not to require such…
Keep Reading

Can a Husband Ask for Alimony in a Georgia Divorce?

Years ago in Georgia and many other states, only women could receive alimony in divorce proceedings. Today, however, with the recognition that the husband is not always the breadwinner of the family, men and women both may be entitled to alimony in a Georgia divorce.  Whether a court awards alimony to either spouse in a…
Keep Reading

Call 770-594-8309
Text 678-522-4799


Email Us - Anytime!

[email protected]