Skip to content
Set Up a Consultation Call 770-594-8309 / Text 678-522-4799

I want to prove they are mine.

Shaw Law Firm Works for You

Parental Rights for Unmarried Fathers

Defense Against False Claims of Domestic Abuse

Proving Paternity

It's called legitimation if the father seeks to prove the child is his, and it's called paternity if the mother seeks to prove a man is the father.

Whether he is representing the mother or the father, Scott Shaw knows the law and will develop the arguments effectively.

Unmarried Fathers

Until legitimation is finalized in court, a child born outside of marriage in the state of Georgia has no legal father. 

Scott Shaw has years of experience with paternity law - an uncommon area of focus in family law. He often represents unmarried parents in custody and legitimation matters.

Battling Stereotypes

Stereotypes in our society continue to portray mothers as the proper custodians of children, and fathers as providers who work outside the home.

Scott Shaw knows how to demonstrate a father's parenting skills and break down power of the stereotype in child custody matters. 

Five Star Ratings

Threats to Take Son

I was an emotional wreck because my ex had threatened to take my son out of the state against my will. I thought because he was my son's father that he could do it too. Scott informed me of my rights that I did not even know that I had. He immediately sprang into action and got an emergency order from the court. He handled everything quickly and attentively while reassuring me through the process. I really am grateful for all that he did for my son and I. The end result was totally in my favor. I highly recommend him and thank him for his representation.

False Accusations

My wife made false accusation throughout a lengthy divorce and withheld my children from me... brilliant at deposition (where he utterly tore her apart) and exposed her lies with evidence he guided me to gather prior to our case....extremely detail-oriented and knows the law well...[in] the final trial Mr. Shaw was able to counter everything that was thrown at us through ...evidence and facts. Divorce is a difficult change, process and battle but having Mr. Shaw in your corner definitely helps. I can wholeheartedly recommend Mr. Shaw.

What a Relief

It was a relief mentally and emotionally to have an attorney appear on behalf of my son and I that into court prepared and knew the facts of the case and the applicable law and present it all in a coherent fashion. Thank you again! --- William M. 

No B.S. Attitude

Mr. Shaw is one heck of an attorney and his no B.S. attitude is what won me over in the first place. --- Jason P. 

Won Custody of My Kids

Mr. Shaw won custody for me of my little boy and teenage daughter, despite my now ex-wife influencing my daughter to testify at trial and to elect to reside with her, and Mr. Shaw cut through this chafe at trial, through the B.S. and distortions, destroyed my ex’s case, and I have custody of my two kids as a very happy father. --- Mark S. 

Grandparents Win Custody

We would like to thank you for all your hard work in helping us get custody of Brett and Brittany. You are their savior. You helped these two little angels have a stable home for the first time in their little lives. --- Tom & Debra C.

Can Shaw Law get results for you?

Tell us about your situation.

Learn More about Paternity and Legitimation Issues and Questions

Excerpts from the Shaw Law Library:

What Are My Rights as a Father if Someone is Trying to Adopt My Child?

As a biological father, you have certain rights to information about your child. You must be notified of a child’s birth and any proposed plan to adopt the child. You also are entitled to notice and a court hearing if an individual or couple is seeking to adopt your child. Whether notice occurs by phone…
Keep Reading

Fathers’ Rights in Adoption Proceedings

A Georgia adoption can be confusing and complex, especially for fathers who are trying to determine their rights in a pending adoption proceeding. O.C.G.A. § 19-8-12 gives a biological father the right to notice of the filing of any adoption proceedings in the following circumstances, even if the father has never established paternity in order…
Keep Reading

Paternity and Legitimation

A paternity suit is when a mother who is not married to the father of her baby brings a lawsuit to declare who the father of the child is. A legitimation suit is where the father of the child brings a lawsuit against the mother to declare that he is the father of the child.…
Keep Reading

Father’s Rights

Father’s rights is not really an area of law but it is rather a philosophy that the father is an equal parent with the mother. He should have no less chance or opportunity to be a parent to his children, and he should have no more responsibility to pay support for his children or any…
Keep Reading

Differences in Representing Fathers Seeking Custody of Their Child

I’ve represented roughly equal numbers of mothers and fathers in child custody disputes.  In my experience you have to approach the case differently depending on whether or not the mother or the father is the client.  Now theoretically, and as written in the law and propounded by the United States Supreme Court, the gender of…
Keep Reading

What Rights Do I Have if I’m Not Married to My Child’s Mother?

If the parents of a child are married at the time of the child’s birth, they are the child’s legal mother and father. Therefore, they have equal rights to custody and visitation with the child. If a child is born out of wedlock, however, only the child’s mother has any custody rights to the child.…
Keep Reading

Call 770-594-8309
Text 678-522-4799


Email Us - Anytime!

[email protected]