Skip to content
Set Up a Consultation Call 770-594-8309 / Text 678-522-4799

Uphold Your Rights as a Parent

There is more to parental rights than having custody of the child.  The law is complex and specific steps may be required to establish parental rights under that law.

At Shaw Law PC, we understand the nuance of the law and will guide you through the process toward attaining the outcome you want. 

We know you are feeling angry and determined to protect your rights and protect your children. 

Scott Shaw will stand beside you to gain control over the situation and work hard to reach a workable solution for you.

Shaw Law Firm Works for You

Custody Election of a Child 14 Years or Older

Parental Rights for Unmarried Fathers

Defense Against False Claims of Domestic Abuse

What's your biggest concern?

Keeping My Kids Safe

Sadly, sometimes one parent is unable to provide a safe and loving environment for a child.

Take steps to keep your children safe. 

Proving They Are Mine

Unmarried fathers must prove paternity to have parental rights; otherwise only the mother has those rights. 

Take the next step to prove fatherhood.

Changing Current Agreement

Sometimes an already divorced parent will see a need to change their existing parental agreement. 

Find out how to take that step.

Five Star Ratings

False Accusations

"My wife made false accusation throughout a lengthy divorce and withheld my children from me... brilliant at deposition (where he utterly tore her apart) and exposed her lies with evidence he guided me to gather prior to our case....extremely detail-oriented and knows the law well...[in] the final trial Mr. Shaw was able to counter everything that was thrown at us through ...evidence and facts. Divorce is a difficult change, process and battle but having Mr. Shaw in your corner definitely helps. I can wholeheartedly recommend Mr. Shaw."

Threats to Take Son

"I was an emotional wreck because my ex had threatened to take my son out of the state against my will. I thought because he was my son's father that he could do it too. Scott informed me of my rights that I did not even know that I had. He immediately sprang into action and got an emergency order from the court. He handled everything quickly and attentively while reassuring me through the process. I really am grateful for all that he did for my son and I. The end result was totally in my favor. I highly recommend him and thank him for his representation."

Can Shaw Law get results for you?

Tell us about your situation.

Enforce Your Rights as a Parent in Georgia

Establish and Enforce Your Georgia Parental Rights

Parental rights are established in a number of different ways, some of which are easy and some of which require legal action. Mothers, regardless of their marital status, have inherent rights to their children. Since mothers give birth, there can be no dispute about their parentage and their parental rights. In the case of a married mother, both husband and wife have equal rights to their children, so long as they remain married. Once a married couple chooses to separate or divorce, however, each parent’s rights may very well change. The court will intervene at the request of one party or the other,and issue custody and visitation orders that specifically outline each parent’s rights to their children. These orders can range from giving both parents equal rights to a child to one parent being granted sole custody of the child and the other parent being granted only limited access and rights to the child.

When parents are unmarried, however, the situation is more complex. Upon a child’s birth to unmarried parents, only the mother of the child has any rights to the child. The father, even if both parties know that he is the biological father, has no rights to the child at all. Paternity or legitimization can occur through a court proceeding, through the parties undergoing DNA testing, through the parties admitting paternity, or by the parties signing an acknowledgment.  Once paternity or legitimization occurs, rights are established for both the father and mother, just as if the child had been born to a married couple.

Enforcing Your Parental Rights

After parental rights are established, disputes still can arise concerning one parent’s rights. For example, a mother may be concerned that visitation between the child and father would pose a danger to the child due to the father’s substance abuse. A mother and father may be unable to cooperate or work together sufficiently to carry out the terms of a joint legal custody order when they disagree on the educational choices for the child. In these cases, one parent may find it necessary to turn to the court for assistance, either to enforce his or her parental rights, or to resolve a dispute concerning parental rights that the parents cannot resolve on their own. In this situation, legal assistance from a knowledgeable Atlanta parental rights attorney is invaluable.

Shaw Law Firm PC is dedicated to helping parents establish and enforce their parental rights across a wide variety of situations. We have the expertise and knowledge to effectively and successfully represent parents in these types of disputes. Whether you are a mother or a father, you need advice and guidance that only a qualified Georgia family law attorney can offer. Contact Shaw Law Firm PC for all the information that you need about the legal situation that you are facing.

Call 770-594-8309
Text 678-522-4799


Email Us - Anytime!

[email protected]